… extra special mid-week treat this time…
… and i really needed it because my baking for the Great british Bake-Off is not going to plan and i’m stressed… my sponge is too dense, my pastry keeps flaking… what the f**k is going on!!!!… keep calm… keep calm…
… and I just wanted to sing the praises of our local Morrison’s Supermarket… i’m not usually one to write about a supermarket and especially when our local town of Louth has a plethora of very good butchers, it’s just that time was of the essence and the meat counter at Morrison’s always looks so good, they didn’t even have the pork belly on display but I asked the lovely butcher and off he went and brought out an amazing slab of pork belly, cut it down for me and scored the fat… I literally had to rub some salt on it and bung it in the oven… genius!
slow-roast pork belly
1 slab of pork belly (not sure of the weight but I think this works for any size as most pork belly is the same thickness anyway)
2 onions – sliced into wedges
2 apples (any variety) – sliced into wedges
any assorted veg (carrots, potatoes, celery etc) – all chopped roughly
salt, pepper and thyme
– take your pork belly and rub a generous amount of salt into the scored skin… turn it over and season the underside
– place it in a roasting tin large enough to take it and all the other veg and roast on a very high oven (at least 200) for 30 mins until the skin starts to puff up and go brown
– next, turn down the oven to 180 and continue to roast for another hour
– once this time has lapsed, take the pork belly out, place the chopped veg into the roasting tin, turn in the pork fat, season and add the thyme, then place the pork belly back onto the veg and roast again for another hour.
– let the prok belly rest a while before serving… and I dare you not to steal some of that crackling before serving… bet you can’t do it!
… and finally and most excitedly I’d like to announce the winner of the wonderful Lincolnshire Hamper giveaway… using my hi-tech random number generator (I gave each of the entries a number and asked The Viking to pull one out of a hat)… i’m proud to announce the winner is….Jo at given to distracting others… I will be in touch to arrange delivery!
ooh and don’t forget my new monthly challenge random recipes…
… back to the baking…
… eat and of course, enjoy!