The tortilla bowl salad is such a simple dish to make and at first I thought I’d purchased the wrong type of tortilla wraps to make it as they were very small but I actually prefer these ‘mini bowls’ as they fit snuggly into your hand and are like a hybrid between a tortilla bowl and a taco. Utterly Splendid.
FOR THE TORTILLA BOWL
- 4 x tortilla wraps – I used the mini tortilla wraps from Marks and Spencer
- olive oil
- 1 head of gem lettuce – chopped
- 1/2 cucumber – chopped
- a handful of your favourite baby tomatoes – chopped
- a handful of radish – chopped
- 1 avocado – chopped
- a handful of green beans – cooked for 3 mins, then tossed in lemon olive oil
- 1 block feta
FOR THE GREEN GODDESS PEA DRESSING
- 100g peas (frozen is fine) – cooked and set aside to cool
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon cottage cheese
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- the juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper
You will need a large platter for the salad and a large muffin tray to create the tortilla bowls. Pre-heat your oven to 180C fan
Brush each side of the tortillas liberally with olive oil, then place them onto an up-turned muffin tin and press the tortilla down between the humps until a wide bowl-shape is formed. Bake for 8-10 mins until golden, then set aside on a wire rack.
Make the salad in a large platter. Lay the chopped salad leaves on the platter first, then add the tortilla bowls, then the remaining leaves and the rest of the salad ingredients on top.
Crumble a little feta over the salad.
For the dressing, place all the ingredients into a food processor and whiz together until thick and gloriously green. Pour all over the salad, garnish with some torn basil and coriander leaves, and serve.
For more salad recipes, check these out on Dom in the Kitchen.
Eat and of course, enjoy!