Is there anything more refreshing in the hot weather than a spicy soup? There’s something about the combination of cool creamy coconut and chilli in this coconut and basil chilli noodle soup that is so wonderfully zingy that I find it perfect for eating in the summer heat.
where’s the lemongrass?
I love living in the countryside but sometimes I get frustrated by the lack of availability of some ingredients. This soup was supposed to include lemongrass as a main ingredient and I just couldn’t get it anywhere. I’d heard that basil and lemon zest was a way to get a good alternative so that’s how I ended up with this coconut and basil chilli noodle soup.
- 1 thumb-sized chunk of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- One red chilli – seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli – seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves – peeled
- The juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 handful fresh coriander, a few sprigs reserved and chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil
- a glug or two vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot – sliced into batons
- One small carrot – sliced into batons (reserve some for decoration)
- 1 or two small mushrooms – very thinly sliced (reserve some for decoration)
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- ½ litre vegetable stock
- rice noodles
- bean shoots
- 1 x 400ml/14fl oz can coconut milk
Blend the ginger, chilli, garlic, basil, lemon zest and coriander in a food processor until quite finely chopped. Add a little vegetable oil and the lemon juice to bring it to a smoother paste.
Saute the mushrooms, onions and carrots in a shallow pan for a few mins to let them soften, then add the paste cook for a few minutes to release the aromas, stirring frequently. Add a pinch or two of turmeric and the vegetable stock and simmer for a few minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk to the pan and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes.
Prepare your noodles according to the packet instructions. I’m using some pre-cooked noodles so they don’t actually need any prep at all.
To serve, divide your noodles between two bowls, place a handful of bean shoots over the top and ladle over the aromatic soup. Garnish with some of the carrots, mushroom and coriander set aside earlier and serve straightaway.
For other soup recipes check out these recipes on my bog.
Eat and of course, enjoy!